Top AIC guides: Best 5 An Inspector Calls Revision Guides
- Gerald explains to The Inspector that he had an affair with Eva, but hasn't seen her since he ended their relationship back in Autumn 1911.
- Sheila gives her engagement ring back to Gerald.
- The Inspector turns his attention to Mrs Sybil Birling, she confesses that she also had contact with Eva, but Eva gave herself a different name to Mrs Birling.
- Eva approached a charity chaired by Mrs Birling to ask for help. Eva was desperate and pregnant but help was refused by Mrs Birling because she was offended by the girl calling herself 'Mrs Birling'. She tells Eva that the baby's father should be made entirely responsible. She also tells Inspector Goole that the father should be held entirely responsible and should be made an example of.
- Eric is revealed as the father. He stole money from Mr Birling's office to provide money to Eva. Eric is angry at his mother when he learns that she has refused to help Eva.
- The Inspector tells them that they are all partly to blame for Eva's death and warns them of the consequences of people not being responsible for each other, "If men will not learn that lesson, when they will be taught it in fire and blood and anguish".
- After Inspector Goole leaves, the family begin to suspect that he was not a genuine police inspector. A phone call to the Chief Constable confirms this. Next, they phone the infirmary to be informed that no suicide case has been brought in.
- Mr Birling, Mrs Birling and Gerald congratulate themselves that it was all a hoax and they continue can continue as before. This attitude upsets Sheila and Eric.
- The phone rings. Mr Birling announces to the family that a girl has just died on her way to the infirmary, a police inspector is coming to question them.
You might like this
OxNotes › GCSE/IGCSE Subjects › GCSE English Literature › Summary: An Inspector Calls